Purpose of the League of Women Voters of Moore County
The purpose of the League of Women Voters of Moore County, NC, is to promote political responsibility through informed and active participation in government and to act on selected government issues.
Non-Partisan Policy (Adopted 10/93; revised or endorsed 8/94; 8/97; 8/98; 8/99; 8/02; 8/03; 8/05; 8/15)
The credibility of the League rests on its non-partisan position in that it does not support or oppose political parties or candidates. It is political only in the sense it takes positions on selected government issues after study and agreement by members. In order to protect the League’s non-partisan reputation, it is important that the members and the public understand the following:
- Members of the LWVMC are encouraged to participate fully in the political process as individuals without implying or receiving League endorsement.
- Members may participate in party activities and attend precinct meetings and caucuses as private citizens.
- Members shall not wear candidate buttons to League functions. While campaigning for a candidate, a member shall not wear a LWV button or otherwise identify herself/himself with the League.
- No candidate material other than that prepared by the League shall be distributed at any League function or in the vicinity thereof.
- The LWVMC must maintain a careful non-partisan stance it its voter services activities. It should avoid co-sponsorship with groups or organizations that endorse or have affiliations with candidates. Moderators must be neutral.
- It must be understood by candidates and office holders that the acceptance of gifts to the League from them shall not be construed as an endorsement of the donor(s).
- Since the general policy can never cover every situation, the Board is empowered to deal with specific cases as they arise.
- This policy is to be reviewed biannually.
- The President and voter service chairperson, or any particularly visible member, shall not engage in partisan politics during their terms of office, including sponsoring fund raising for political purposes, hosting political functions, and distributing campaign materials. A member of the Board may not simultaneously serve as an officer of the Board of any political party. Any question regarding propriety shall be reviewed by the Board before such action is taken.
- The candidacy of a Board member’s spouse or immediate relative for partisan political office shall require his/her resignation as a Board member. The other political activities of a spouse or relative of a board member shall be considered separate and distinct from the activities of a board member. However, the member should refrain from implying endorsement by the League.
- Any notice released to the public or to the membership by the LWVMC announcing the resignation of a board member to run for political office shall be carefully worded to avoid the appearance of endorsing the resigning board member’s candidacy.
- Board member may serve on non-partisan boards or commissions to which they are appointed.
Annual dues are $50.00 for a single person or $75.00 for two persons in the same household which covers the membership period from July 1 thru June 30. Your -2014-2015 dues are now due. Send your check to;:
Susan Conrad, Treasurer
175 Surrey Circle S.
Pinehurst NC 28374
website updated 8/20/2015